Hijab 101 : Do Muslim women have to wear hijabs during salah at home?

image tags: hijab styles, hijab, hijab style, hijabs
QUESTION : I would like to know if Muslim women have to wear hijab during prayers at home? The purpose of hijab is to cover my body in front of men. When I’m at home by myself, I don’t see the need to wear hijabs during salah because there are no men around. Someone told me that this is incorrect. Can you please clarify?

ANSWER : Yes, we do have to wear hijab during salah — even if we are praying at home alone. Allah says in verse 7:31 : “O Children of Adam! Wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer…”

Allah knows best. Please don’t hesitate to correct me if I’m wrong.

Have a question about hijab? Send it to welovehijab@yahoo.com and I will try to answer it for you, inshaAllah.

Image made using: bethcanphoto

Sara207

Hijab is not only worn to cover up from men but it is also an expression of modesty; wearing Hijab during prayer is being modest infront of Allah.

NiDa

Salaam Aleykum,

If we show humility toward mankind, why not show it to our Creator? I think it is even more so important to be fully and apropriately covered ifnront of Allah during prayer, and show respect onto HIM, by following His command, then doing it for a wordly purpose. Hijab is not just something to cover yourself because men are around, its in part also to benefit the woman herself. To guard herself and to practice hayah and increase her taqwa in Allah.

Allahu ‘Alem,,, but that is just what I belive should come out of it.

Amany

Salams,
From my understanding, we wear hijab first and foremost because allah asked us to. Yes there are other reason like modesy and protection from men but the the main reason is because Allah commanded us 2, and Allah knows whats best for us. So when we pray to him its out of respect to him that we pray with hijab because we are following his order. However you could always check the sunnah of the prophet for reference to see if the prophet’s wives and companions used 2 do that or for furthermore explanation.
And again Allah knows best.
Amany. K

e

very good info! i was having the same dilama

e

*dilemma* sorry! typo!

Muslim Girl

Good answer!

imani

At the risk of sounding like a troll, I have to disagree. All I see in that ayah is a command that we not pray naked or in rags, but that we wear decent items out of our wardrobe. I have plenty of “my clothing” that is the “best” that I own that doesn’t cover every strand of hair or go down to my wrists, toes, etc.

The command about hijab is to draw our khimars over ourselves so we will be recognized and not harassed. No one is going to harass me if I’m alone in my room. Allah SWT already knows what I look like, I don’t have to hide myself from Allah,as long as I wear something nice like it says in the above surah I should iA be fulfilling all Qur’anic salah obligation.

Samira

It depends on from what Islamic sources you use to base the practice of your deen. Interestingly=even sisters who debate the wearing of a khimar in everyday life-cover their heads during prayers based on the evidence in the Qur’an and hadith that support the idea that the awra most be covered during prayer.

Some sources:

“O children of Adam! Wear your beautiful apparel (zeenah) at every time and place of prayer.”? (Surah al-A’raf, 31)

The majority of the Companions (Allah be pleased with them all), their followers (tabi’un), Jurists and exegetes of the Qur’an have deduced from this verse (along with the other evidences) the obligation of covering one’s Awra in prayer. (See: Abu Bakr ibn al-Arabi, Ahkam al-Qur’an, 4/205, Ma’arif al-Qur’an (English), 3/565)

In hadith:
Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Allah does not accept the prayer of a woman who experiences menstruation except with a head cover (khimar).”? (Sunan Abu Dawud, no. 641, Sunan Tirmidhi, Sunan Ibn Majah and others)

The great Hanafi jurist, Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) stated in Durr al-Mukhtar:
“The Awra for a free woman (i.e. not a slave, m) is her full body including her descending hair according to the correct opinion, except for the face, hands…. and feet.”

Amira

Unveiled woman is as an assault to an angel’s modesty (pudeur).Angels of God are not supposed to enjoy beauty of women. So they won’t come close during namaz if woman is not covered properly.
Ibn Ishaq recorded:
One day, Prophet was sitting with Khadijah, and he said, “Khadijah, the spirit came!” She said, “Come, and sit on my right side.” So, he sat on her right side. She said, “Mohammed, do you see the spirit?” He said, “Yes.” She said, “Then sit on my left side.” So, he switched and he sat on her left side. “Do you see the spirit?”Khadijah asked. “Yes,” Mohammed answered. “Then sit on my lap.” He sits on her lap. “Do you still see the spirit?” “Yes,” Mohammed answered. Then she dropped her hair down . And then she said, “Do you see the spirit?” He said, “No.” She said,”That spirit is good because when i opened my hair, he got shyed and left because Angels of God are not supposed to enjoy beauty of women. You are the prophet of Allah.”

Kreven

Salam.as regard to ur comment dat angels are nt suppose to enjoy d beauty of a woman,and dat d hair of a lady drive angels away..wat is nt d faith of one who prayed in a house where woman hairs are displayed?e.g a saloon.

Lady Muslima

I agree with Samira. In this part of the world (Indonesia), even women who dont wear khimars cover up during prayer. Designing prayer clothes is a business in itself.

Jodi

Salam Alaikum!

Does anyone have any references as to whether or not feet should be covered during prayer and being around non-mahram? This is always a debate between some other sisters/brothers I know.

yusuf

Yes your feet must be covered also… The hadith reads that everything must be covered except for whats apparent… And when he (Nabi) was asked about what was apparent he motioned towards the HANDS and the FACE….. NOT THE FEET! and that’s Sahih! The feet are part of a womans arwah….

Monica

Asalamualkauim! I heard about this once and it has stuck with me. Think about when you go to an interview for a job. Would you arrive in a track suit or ripped jeans? No, you would dress business casual in a professional manner. Now, think about prayer. This is the time where you are directly communicating with Allah. Therefore, we should clean up (wudu) and cover up (hijab) in respect for him (like our “interview”, there is a proper dress). Of course, it is stated in the Holy Quran as previously mentioned, so that should be justified enough! Allah knows best.

7bibti

I agree with Samira as well. When I was taught to pray, I was always taught to make wudu and wear hijab. I pray mostly in my house and even if I am around the house, not wearing hijab, when the athan sounds, I make wudu and wear hijab and then pray.
I would suggest to any sister to wear hijab when praying, I am not sure if the prayer is accepted otherwise. . .

nina

yes…they do…

Umm Ibrahim

It’s as easy as following what you’re scholars say. Every single madhab has rulings about this and you can often inquire with the scholars about this.

It’s also a sunnah, to cover up and be in clean cloths during salaat also…the women of the sahabah covered when they prayed. We should too as we should take them as examples for our behavior and dress.

Tabatha

Samira and Jodi~
“The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid. ”

Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she was asked about a woman who prayed in a khimaar and qamees (dress or gown). She said, “There is nothing wrong with it if the dir’ (chemise) covers her feet.”

“Ayesha (rad.i-Allahu `anha) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (rad.i-Allahu `anhu) came to the Messenger of Allah while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: ‘O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands.” [Abu Dawud]

Narated By ‘Aisha, Ummul Mu’minin : Asma, daughter of Abu Bakr, entered upon the Apostle of Allah (sallalahu allahi wa salaam) wearing thin clothes. The Apostle of Allah (sallalahu allahi wa salaam) turned his attention from her. He said: O Asma’, when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this, and he pointed to her face and hands. (Abu Dawud, Book 027, Hadith Number 4092)

Mina

Your face is part of your head,…your hair is on your head.

Jennifer

As’Salam Alaykum

I think of covering as an act of obediance to Allah. This is part of the character of a believing woman, that she obeys her creator and displays that obediance through her actions. I think this extends to all parts of her life.

Allah Hafiz

nana

hai..salam
im very intersting n like alot ure blog..

very inspiration..

saabira

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
reading all these comments are very interesting, but as a sister put it, issues like this depends on the type of minhaj that one sticks by. If the Qur’aan and the sunnah instructs us to do something in a particular manner, one must abide to such if he/she claims to be a Muslim, There is no room for consideration or opinions and desires. Opening these types of doors leads one in the path of bi’dah.
Islam so clearly states (without ambiguities) that one must cover one’s awrah, then one must obey without any whys, hows or whats. A woman’s awrah includes everything from her hair, bosy and feet, only the hands and face can be left uncovered when praying.
Furthermore, these things are discussed by those who have knowledge of such, however is a fellow sister has presented a daleel (proof) from the 2 main sources, then there is no reason to argue or reject.
Allah (swt) knows best.

Jamie-leigh

I have just converted to Islam n I don’t wear a hijab inshallah I will wear one in the future. A friend told me that I have to wear a hijab when I am learnin or Reading any book with Islam or sumthing to do with Islam Written inside it is this true xx

aagi

Hi Jamie-leigh!
I don’t think you have to wear head covering when you read any islamic book. Some women do it when they read the Quran out of respect but it doesn’t seem to be a command.
Don’t always believe everything people tell you is a must. Look it up in the Quran first of all and then in the hadiths. If you can’t find it anywhere, ask a scholar, an imam or some wise person you know:) but do ask them for a proof.
Many times people add something from their culture or something they have heard to the religion. It’s actually a sin to do that and they should know better.

soode

hi my dear friends. i’m a muslim girl from Iran. u know the Islamic Republic of Iran. i’m so happy to see girls around the world who are muslim and concern hijab . unfortunately in our country girls are going astray from their religion. it is mostly because of “cultural invasion”(am i right?) they do not like hijab and think it’s only limitation for them. how about you? do u think so?

Maftuna

Salaam soode,
Thanks for your post. I started wearing hijab 3 yrs ago and accepted Islam 5 yrs ago. It was my choice and my husband encouraged me.

Only now I’m having doubts. I do think in some way that it’s kind of limiting. I miss my hair blowing in the wind and the summers (in New York City) can be hard with the weather being hot & humid here. I see the rest of my family going out and having fun and dressing up. It makes me envy them a little. I mentioned this to my husband and he starting lecturing me and became mad at me for saying this. He thinks I’m being melodramatic or something, I don’t know. I feel like men don’t get it. Especially the one’s who don’t wear long beards and loose fitting islamic clothing, my husband doesn’t.

Also it’s the looks I get from non-Muslims men and women, of which almost 100% of them don’t wear hijab (even if they are Muslims).

I realize that it’s modesty, ordered by Allah, much reward in the hearafter, etc. I realize all that, but I find less and less comfort in these thoughts. Any advice, sisters?

Rachida

Wa alaikum salaam

Maftuna,

I understand where you are coming from. We all have our moments and that doesn’t mean you loose faith you just have a moment. Will those people envy you in the hearafter? you are doing what you do for Allah (swt) & you! just remember that. And you are getting more respect wearing hijab compared to not. We have to stick together and put out a good message about Muslim women.

May allah (swt) guide you and keep you strong.

Salaam Sister

Denia0903

Please, clarify for me. I am italian, and Muslim friends of mine said me that Hijab is not to cover up from men but it’ is right to cover up infront of Allah, as a sign of modesty. So why you think you have to cover infront of man? I asked this, because in the past in Italy cristians women too used to cover their hair when praying, and it’s raccomandable sometimes today, but it’s only for religious moments.
Congratulations for the blog, it is very accurate.
I beg your pardon for my bad english, God bless you all.
(Cristian reader)

tonya cummins

if my husband has the windows open do i need to were the hijab
do i need to wear the hijab in front of my son inlaw a non muslim

tonya cummins

how am i to do my prayers when i am at school i go to college at night

zainab Atiku

Salam Alaikum Warahmatullah,
Please educate me more on Women Awra . Does the feets and hands constitute am Awra during salat? Thanks.

zainab Atiku

Salam Alaikum Warahmatullah,
Please educate me more on Women Awra . Does the feets and hands constitute an Awra during salat? Thanks.

Maftuna

Salaam Zainab,
I took a course on hijab, and I was taught that the feet must be covered. Whatever applies as “hijab” or covering in front of non-mahram men, also applies to when you’re playing.
Allah knows best.

Maftuna

Khalisa

SubhanAllah many interesting and informative responses from the sisters! I would like to add some comments in the name of Allah most Merciful most Beneficent.

Denia, as Muslims we are commanded to always show modesty in our appearance, actions, and thoughts in front of Allah *and* in front of people. Modesty is a very important part of our religion; we believe displaying modesty in our appearance, actions and thoughts guards against evils. Our Prophet saw, was said to be so modest that he would turn his face away and blush with embarrassment when women came to seek his advice on certain personal matters, so that his wife A’isha ra would have to directly address the women instead. He always commanded the Muslims to conduct themselves modestly.

Sister Tonya, if the window is in an area where peeping eyes can see, then you should wear hijab so that no one can see your awrah. You could always put blinds or curtains up so that no one can see inside your house, then there won’t be a problem. You don’t have to wear hijab in front of your son-in-law, because according to the Qur’an he is a mahram man. (See Surat an-Nisa 4:22-23)
Going to school isn’t a valid reason to miss salat. If you are going at night then the majority of the prayers should be free to perform anyway.

May

Khalisa

oops, pressed ‘submit’ too fast! Wanted to say, May Allah give us all hidayat ameen!

Jamilah

Salaam Sisters,
I didn’t read what ppl wrote below but it is my understanding that we cover at home because the Angels and the Jinns are still there and the Angels are recording your deeds.
There are also duas to say when you get undressed so that the Jinns don’t see anything. And you know how non-muslims ask you if you shower in your hijab (lol)?? Well you actually are supposed to wear a toga-like thing because Jinns stay in the bathroom because of the filth of it. So that they won’t see anything and you’re supposed to say the dua.
Also if you have men (brother, father, cousin) around the house you should always throw on a big shawl (Chaddar) and it will cover practically your whole body. Because Allah says that He is there and you are there and Shaiton is the third party.

Salaam dear sisters and hope this helped.

Jamilah

oh, and may Allah forgive me if this is wrong!

Maftuna

Sister Jamilah,
I’d have to disagree. I have heard the Angels and Jinns being at home thing, and yes I think there is a dua for when you’re getting dressed or something and there is definitely a dua when you enter the bathroom. However, when you’re at home, you are allowed to take off your hijab. That is, you are allowed to expose your hair, neck, feet and hands only. In front of your mahram (men) you should wear lose clothing but still allowed to expose abovementioned parts of the body. I took a course on proper hijab, and the imam was very specific on a lot of situations. Around you husband, you can wear anything you want, but around other women and mahram men, you should be modest. And I have never heard of the toga looking thing to wear in the shower. Do you have evidence for that, i.e. hadith or quraan verses? Doesn’t that prevent you from washing your body properly?

Anonymous

I have nothing agaisnt muslim women. I just feel that it’s a little unfair for them to have to hide them selves from the world, I’ve read all about why they have to cover their hair but the men don’t. You’re hair is a part of you the bible says that you are to treat you’re hair like a crown not hide it from the world , and yes I understand one of the reasons for it is to not attract men but if their not judging you’re hair and body then they are judging you’re face it’s not just about the body that’s why women wear makeup. And Just because a woman isn’t covering her hair doesn’t mean that she doesn’t respect her self , and the Muslim culture isn’t the only culture that does this. The end of day is getting closer and we all will be free of this

Brookelyn

Actually, there are a lot of christians, jews, and even atheists who wear hijab. It is a requirment in our faith, yes, but other women also wear it because they feel like it protects their beauty. Men are attracted to women with certain types of hair (red-brown, long, short, curly, ect.) so covering something that is cause for attraction to a man who is not your husband or family makes sense. And I dont know if you realize the world we live in now but society in the US particularly has a HUGE problem with covering themselves modestly. Ten year olds here are running around in short-shorts, and most women are usually intentionally focusing on their appearence so they ‘look good’ when they go out. Almost all commercials, magazines, and adverstisments are broadcasting something to do with appearence and making yourself look better.I dont seee why its a problem if women wear hijab because they DONT want to expose their beauty to lustful eyes . And in the bible Genesis 24: 64-65 Rebeka Covered herself when she saw a man.

Ayah

Salaam everyone,
I do not think that women must wear hijab during salaat in the comforts of their own home or in public. The first rule of modesty is righteousness. As long as our intentions are good, I believe that wearing comfortable, clean clothing is modest enough, especially for our Lord who sees anything and through anything. I don’t believe we should seek guidance about wearing hijabs from the hadiths and sunnas because it makes us seek an outside source of the Quran, which takes away our trust from it.

Muslima

Ayah,
Actually, the proof for hijab is in Surat-al-Nur, telling us to cover our hair and not show except what is apparent (‘what is apparent’ has been translated differently. The best accepted translation is face and hands). And so if Allah (SWT) asks us in the Quran to wear our apparel in prayer, then he means the awrah he has set for us in the Quran. So you see, this does not go into ahadith, but only the Quran.

A note for you, Ayah. You should be extremely careful about rejecting a hadith or sunna, because Allah (SWT) has ordered us in the Quran to follow the Prophet’s sunna, and we cannot always depend on the Quran to elaborate for us like the sunna does. I think some scholars have even ruled rejecting the established sunna as hypocrisy.

Taqwa

@Ayah,

Im sorry I don’t want to come off too strong or anything, but what on earth are you saying??? The prophet’s teachings (pbuh) are all from Allah, and the hadith is as compulsory as the Quran, whereas the sunna is the prophet’s tradition (pbuh) so the sunna is more of a choice but we are encouraged to follow it. If you don’t pray with a hijab, then your prayer is not counted cuz technically you are not doing it correctly, I’m really finding it ridiculous having to explain this cuz i find it unfathomable that a Muslim person is that ignorant about their religion. The hijab must be worn in front of men who are not muharram, and during religious practices including salat and reading quran (however this is not compulsory). So please I hope that it is established to anyone reading this blog to know that the hijab must be worn during the salat, and not only the hijab but loose clothing preferably something like a abaya or salat clothes on top of your normal clothing. And yes, the hijab is compulsory and it has been mentioned in the Quran and is a simple requirement of women, “clean clothing” is not enough. I’m sorry what you are saying makes no logical sense whatsoever. The hijab is meant to subdue sexual drives, to be a form of jihad, to give equality to women, and to be a sign of modesty towards Allah and clean clothing definitely isnt enough. You should seriously get your facts straight, and if you are coming up with these explanations so that you dont have to face wearing the hijab, you need to understand the truth and stop saying random things.

May allah keep us in his guidance

trendymodesty

I really don’t understand why my comment from the end of JANUARY is still awaiting moderation:( Did I write something offensive?

Maftuna

trendymodesty
I have the same problem.

Maftuna

Maybe it’s some sort of key words in there that filters it automatically

surya

when you pray, you pray to God, it follows that you are ‘facing’ God. thus said, you cover up out of respect to God.

surya

also, with regards to the person having doubts, Islam doesnt restrict. How about you only start continuously wearing it when you’re really ready? that said, you must understand that i am not condoning the act for you not to wear it, but merely to show you that Islam does not force us to do anything. It is all a matter of Choice and it’s YOUR Soul and if you must make your own choices.

Muslima

Dear Maftuna

On your reply to Jamila, you were mostly correct, but you said that a woman can only uncover her hair, neck, feet and hands at home/in front of mahram. Actually, a woman’s ‘home awra’ is, at the very minimum, what is between her belly button and knees, but another opinion, and this is the most widely accepted and used one, is that a woman’s home awra is from above her breasts down to her knees.

And may Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala keep us on the Straight Path.

maftuna

Dear Muslima,
Do you have any proof of this opinion on “home awrah”?

As I mentioned, as was taught to me in a class by a scholar, in the Quraan Allah swt used the specific word to describe the awrah that needs to be covered (I think it was “zeena”) which literally meant parts of body where you wear jewelry. And then Allah swt mentions the exceptions to the rule, i.e. the mahram and “their women” which we interpret as muslim women only (does not include non-Muslim women). So indirectly, it is interpreted that we are allowed to expose the “zeena” (i.e. face, hands, wrists/arms, feet/ankles, neck) around mahram men and muslim women. Hence, we are not to expose any more than that. So the scholar was explaining that wearing a tube top style, tight tanks and tight jeans around the house around your brothers or uncles is not appropriate. From your definition, it looks shoulders are ok to be exposed?
The opinion on below belly button is totally unfathomable! I think it’s rediculous that someone would come up with an opinion that you can walk around topless around your mahram, particularly fathers, brothers, etc… ew

Muslima

Dear Maftuna,

As a native Arabic speaker, I can tell you that ‘zeena’ literally means adornment, and is referring to your body parts. I don’t know why your scholar interpreted it as ‘where you wear jewelry’. If hijab was just covering your jewelry, why do we need to cover up the rest of our bodies? The exceptions to the rule says ‘their women’, and different people interpret this differently. You should wear hijab in front of non-Muslim women if you fear that they will describe your body to others, but this is just the same for a Muslim woman who would describe your body. Why would you wear hijab in front of a non-Muslim woman?

The opinion on below-belly button is mainly logic, that a woman can see of other women what a man can see of other men. Also, if you think about it a little bit, it does make sense. A breastfeeding sister HAS to uncover her bosom to her child, who is her mahram. If a woman had to cover this area even in front of mahram, how would this be possible? But it is more modest and sensible to normally cover from above the breasts to the knees.

Please look up al-Muhajaba’s Islamic Pages, Tips for Beginning to Wear Hijab. This has a pretty good list of what hijab to wear in front of who.

maftuna

Sister Muslima,
Thanks for the response. I apreciate it. Jazzakallah khair.
I think there is a trust issue when it comes to Muslim vs non-muslim women. Muslim women generally know that we shouldn’t describe another hijabi to other men. We hope that if they are God-fearing, they won’t betray our trust. On the other hand, non-muslims cannot be trusted in that way, even if we ask them not to do this. Realistically, I feel more comfortable wearing it and not have to say “oh by the way, can you not describe what you see to other men” lol. I used to take it off in the ladies room where I work, but I only recently stopped out of that fear. Also, I didn’t like some of the comments that I got, like “don’t put it back on, you look so beautiful!” to which I responded “yeah, thanks, that’s exactly why I’ll put it back on”
Breastfeeding logic makes sense, I guess.
Maftuna

Muslima

You’re welcome, sister Maftuna.

Yes, I see what you mean. But, as in my case, my grandmother is non-Muslim. She is my mahram, and I trust her totally. It made me think; if my father was non-Muslim, would I cover in front of him? He is clearly said to be my mahram. So in the end it does come down to trust. I was shocked recently to find that some close Muslim friends of mine were about to describe my hair to some boys before I stopped them because they didn’t know that it was wrong.

Wa’alaaiki’al-khair.
Muslima

Maisah

-Maisah

I’m just going to tell you what my mother have told me and my sister’s, my mother being a Muslim for 18 years she have told me that you should always cover when praying, its you being modest around Allah.

FATIMAH-PHILLY

As salamu Alaikum

I appreciate all the information that you sisters have provided.

When giving information, let’s always have the proof so that we all can go to the appropriate surah or hadith to look up things for ourselves. Anyone can make up their own information, so it’s always good to have the proof.

Shukran.

PaxCarmeL

Anonymous:

I just wanted to respond to you personally, as a Christian (Catholic) woman who covers her hair and dresses modestly. Your biblical stance could not be more misguided
If you will go back and read 1 Corinthians, it says that a woman’s hair is the glory of man, but a man’s is the glory of God (Just as Adam was God’s first creation and Eve was made FOR Adam.) Thus, Paul says to cover our heads when we pray and prophesy in submission to God and “because of the angels” (as these lovely muslim women have been saying…the angels hear our prayers and bring them to God because we are covered, as a sign like the blood on the doorposts that God commanded at the Passover.)
In other words, a Christian woman who observes the Bible (and tradition– as a Catholic I am not bound to the Bible alone but to Holy and Sacred Tradition) will pray with a headcovering on. A mature Christian woman will then realize that the verse in 2 Timothy that says to “Pray without ceasing” then applies– if we are to pray without ceasing, and we must cover when we pray, then we are to cover without ceasing.
So, you will find that Christian women , although they rarely do so any longer due to a disrespect for Holy Tradition, cover their hair and their bodies. Mary, the mother of Jesus, whom we would do well to imitate, certainly did so.

*Sorry to interrupt the conversation, ladies, I just wanted to respond to the person who claimed that the Bible says not to Cover.*

sagir musa yari

Assalamualaikum
i need the commentry fully on this hadith.
prophet[s.a.w] said Allah[s.w.a]does not accept the prayer of a women except with a veil.

Paige

Taqwa – I think you were a bit harsh on Ayah. I think there may be some misunderstanding by both and elaboration needed from both of you, without anger or attacks.

Yes, we must follow what is said in the Qur’an. Yes, LEGITIMATE hadith that supports or elaborates what is said in the Qur’an is to also be followed. But hadith that creates new rules outside the Qur’an is surpassing limits. The Qur’an tells us to pray 5 times a day, and Hadith provides details on how that is to be done. However, note that the hadith by Abu Dawud that is noted here and is often used as as the primary reference for covering all but the face and hands is considered weak by experts. If one does not interpret the Qur’an verse 24:31 to require a head covering (and instead interprets Qur’an 24:31 as stating that the khimar should be used to cover the chest, not that the khimar worn in that one specific way is required to be worn in that specific way plus using it to cover the chest – there were other tops back then with different names and not all covered the head – this verse referenced this specific article which was often worn over the head but left the breasts exposed, hence the requirement to cover the chest) , and therefore does not interpret the Qur’an as requiring a head covering, then hadith stating that the head must be covered is going beyond allowable limits. Yes, experts prescribe covering the head – but experts also prescribe pushing water up the nose during Wudu and state it is per Qur’an, and at most state is an extension and “assumption” based on what is said in the Qur’an. Yes there is hadith on this but hadith is not supposed to surpass what is said to be required per the Qur’an. Experts can have groupthink especially in regards to tradition, but that does not mean it is truly required or even applicable in certain societies. And definitely does not warrant attacks or statements that others are not knowledgeable just because they have a different interpretation.

You state “If you don’t pray with a hijab, then your prayer is not counted cuz technically you are not doing it correctly” . Please provide legitimate references instead of attacks. Nowhere in the Qur’an is this stated.

Muftana I also do not believe the meaning of Zeenah relates to where jewelry can be worn.

beautiful hijab girl

Hijab 101 hijabs during salah at home.. Awesome :)

Maria

Just make it simple buy a prayer outfit it consists of 2 pieces a hijab that you pull over your head and covers all of you upper body and a skirt to pull over the clothes you are wearing. Very simple and easy so you do not have to change or take the time to adorn your hijab and change into an abaya or long skirt. They are very inexpensive you can get them online for under $10.00 and you can pray in modesty with very little effort, than you have done your best of intentions and that is what matters the most to Allah, inshaAllah.

Fahima

I really want to know if it is important to cover the head at home everytime even when we are not praying?

AS

From my knowledge it is not required when we are in our homes and not praying. But I would have to dig for more info on that. I am sure most of the sisters here would agree.

Jonalyn

Hi, i was raised as a Christian catholic convert ed to Muslim and need some guidance . Im only learning Islam through web, My beliefs and faith comes from the book so its not difficult for me to understand Islam. Can someone help me find some website that can help me, learn Islam more or Online sister whom i can talk when i have question? thank you

Uzma

In normal circumstances, I came across this for the dress code:

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity, and not to display their charms [in public] beyond what may [decently] be apparent thereof; [37] hence, let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms. [38]

In the interpretation it says:
The noun khimar (of which khumur is the plural) denotes the head-covering customarily used by Arabian women before and after the advent of Islam. According to most of the classical commentators, it was worn in pre-Islamic times more or less as all ornament and was let down loosely over the wearer’s back; and since, in accordance with the fashion prevalent at the time, the upper part of a woman’s tunic had a wide opening in the front, her breasts cleavage were left bare. Hence, the injunction to cover the bosom by means of a khimar, (a term so familiar to the contemporaries of the Prophet) does not necessarily relate to the use of a khimar as such but is, rather, meant to make it clear that a woman’s breasts are not included in the concept of “what may decently be apparent” of her body and should not, therefore, be displayed

So the bottom line is that according to Quran in normal public situations the woman is to cover her breasts and there is nothing about covering the head while during prayer it just says to “beautify yourself” and nothing about covering the head:

7:31 (Asad) O CHILDREN of Adam! Beautify yourselves [23] for every act of worship, and eat and drink [freely], but do not waste: verily, He does not love the wasteful!

someone wrote a comment about how you wouldn’t wear a track suit to a job interview and that you’d wear something formal like a nice clean suit (kind of like beautifying yourself). But using the same analogy, wearing a hijab with the track suit doesn’t make it a formal/appropriate attire for the interview and therefore seems to be irrelevant. I don’t see how that’s being used as an argument to cover the head during prayer because if its just about being formally/nicely dressed than you can do that without covering your head too.

Anonymous

GRUNDY Y678 MTG RHODESIA

Anonymous

YES YOU ARE RIGHT

Alisha

I feel that when we are in doubt, we should always take the safer side. In this case it is but safe to cover one’s head while praying as compared to not covering it while praying, and Allah knows best.
Covering head at home at all times is also an issue, I hope somebody will be able to give an answer regarding it. I find it troublesome to keep my head covered at all times.

LNMH

/LBNJ.KLJ/K.

Alia

Qoute: “From that ayah, it is clear that we must wear our apparel no matter where or when we are performing salah. And of course when it comes to Muslim women, our apparel is hijab as described in the Qur’an and sound hadiths.”

There is no instruction in the Quran for wearing a hijab. The Quran tells us to be modest and draw a veil over our breasts. In other words, to be modest in our clothing, not to walk around with out bodies exposed.
The hijab was imposed by man due to his weaknesses and oppression. I do not wear hijab and have no intention of doing so. Hijab is a cultural innovation of man. If it was obligatory to cover our heads and faces, why is it not prescribed in the Quran??

Kaleemah

Salaam alaikum wa rahmatullah sisters.

I have a question. My husband actually finds hijab alluring… and this is not even including Niqaab… (even more alluring to him!)

What do I do? It’s a strange situation to say the least.

Jazakallah Khair!

Kelley

That hijab is beautiful. :)

Muslim

Complete nonsense. The verse talks about ‘beautiful clothes’, not about a headscarf.

Safa Butt

Do women have to cover their hair when reading hadith books that is not the Quran?

Razan

Hi I have just started wearing the hijab Al hamdolela and I wanted to ask when I read quran must I be covered like whn we pray because sometimes when I read quran usually its before I go to sleep and I am usually stessesd in my pijamas or night gown is that ok?

Mariah

Are we allowed to solat if we have hair extensions?

Sarah

I am a Muslim and I pray alhamdullah. However I question the hijab and having read the Quran believe that it’s translation and interpretations have misled and misguided women about what “lengthening” your clothes in order to be modest really means. When Muslims say “read the Quran” they should accurately say “read the Hadith” because the Quran does not command hijab. And if it did, it would say so very clearly. Therefore, it is up to each of us – not the men who dictate our lives- how to interpret the clause in the Quran. And inshalla He will guide us as to what is right and appropriate.

I always wonder about covering head during prayer at home. Truthflully, none of the comments I am reading are convincing. I will continue to cover at home but only God knows our true intentions which are good and I think we should all be open to questioning things – rather than folloe things blindly – as required of us as Muslims. We are beings expected to read, learn and question.

Good luck!

Sadiyah Abdus sabur mitchell

Asa wrwb do muslima have to cover when reading the Quran that has tranliteration in it at home

Feelsan

i wan ask some thing very openly so can i use here or u can help me by my self Thank you !

imtyaz

What is the purpose of Hijab and when is it worn? ONLY IN FRONT OF NON MAHRAMS.
Equating BEAUTIFUL GARMENT with hijab is extrapolating. It is to wear your best in terms of value, fragrance, neatness, etc. [as we do in a party, etc.]. Allah deserves better than our parties.
We need more research on this.
[Shaitan wants to make life difficult for Muslims so most will slowly give up praying. My family would not pray, until I told them to do only the FARD at least. Now they do almost punctually.]

imtyaz

To a sahabi with long hair our prophet [pbuh] said, THAT HE SHOULD OPEN THE HAIR BUN/KNOT AND LET IT FALL ON GROUND IN SUJOOD, LET THE HAIR PROSTRATE WITH THE HEAD.

Why this rule cannot be applied to women in their homes? Let some aalim study and advise us. [may Allah guide us all to truth]