How To Wear Hijab Styles : Featured Hijab Style Video Tutorial

FEATURED HIJAB STYLES TUTORIAL : BRAIDED HIJAB

Hijab Style Tutorial By: gwhajibi

I’ve been getting some requests lately for braided hijab styles. I found this video in which the sister demonstrates how to add a braid to your hijab. At first thought, the idea of adding a braid to your hijab seems a little weird to me, but depending on what color/print your hijabs are, I think it could work.

When wearing avant garde hijab styles like this one, I would suggest keeping the color palette simple. In the video, the sister is wearing a bright yellow hijab with a green printed hijab on top. These are very contrasting hijabs, which she probably chose for demonstration purposes (so that the hijab style could be seen easily). I would choose colors that “pop” less, like a deep purple hijab with a black braided hijab on top. I’d probably stay away from prints with this style, but of course, it’s up to you. So, what do you think of this hijab style? Would you wear a braided scarf?

To view more hijab style videos, click here to visit the 150 How To Wear Hijab Styles page!

Laila

Its pretty masha’allah but it shows her neck at the back? also its like an imitation of hair almost i feel. I think it would be ok for around sisters or maybe some way of covering the back

WE LOVE HIJAB

Salaam, Laila: I think that she mentioned in the video that you need to make sure to cover your neck and back with the first hijab. I think that maybe she just didn’t realize that the back of her hijab was short. :-)

Anonymous

Hey sis! please tell me there will be an eid style contest this eid?

N/A

Asalam u alakim, Honestly… Braided hijab? I think that’s losing the concept of hijab. Now were mocking hair? I saw a hijaby sister wear a wig once as a hijab, too. For Halloween at that!! It doesn’t make sense! I think were getting too flashy here… Losing the concept and dignity hijab should have. You asked for our thoughts, so I am just sharing. I love your site! MashAllah! It does gives me great ideas. Sometimes I think we need to be careful, that is all. Love, your sister in Islam always!

ayah

Salaam,

I’ve worn a similar style with a braided hijab, but I did a couple of things differently. I put a thin scarf over the braided one and wrap and pin it in such a way as to over the back of the neck, but let the “braid show”. The “braid” actually works as a clever way to cover your hair, especially if it’s long. Also, both scarves were the same color, so the overall effect is more subtle. I have a picture, but not sure how to post it.

WE LOVE HIJAB

Salaam, Ayah. You can email the picture to me if you want to and I will post it inshaAllah. :-)

we love hijab @ yahoo . com

sis

ya i agree with my sis in islam this style doe nothing for the hijjab and we are loosingthe sense of hijjab here and just trying to cover up everything is going to look ugly and funny so theres no point this is more of a at home style to do chores and keep your hair out of the way

WE LOVE HIJAB

Thanks for your comments ladies! I just want to say that the concept of hijab is to hide your HAIR and BODY. As long as your scarf does that — whether your scarf is braided, pinned, tied, or whatever — you are fulfilling the purpose of hijab.

Allah did not give us any restrictions on how we tie our hijabs. As long as we are covering the appropriate body parts (i.e. everything except hands and face), we are fine. Why do we feel the need to make extra rules for ourselves? We have to remember that unless Allah prohibited something, we have no right to prohibit it. In fact, it is a sin to prohibit something that Allah did not prohibit.

Also, there is a HUGE difference between a wig and a braided scarf. The main difference is that fake hair is haram, while braided scarves are not haram.

Judith

I have done this before with my scarves. As the sister said, it is best to wear a tall turtleneck shirt and/or an underscarf such as an al-amira style to cover your neck. Then tie or pin the overscarf so that it is secure, and braid at will. If you use a patterned scarf, it looks best if it’s one with an all-over pattern, rather than a pattern around only the edge of the scarf and plain white up by the face. Not too busy, either, just something plain and understated, unless the whole rest of your outfit is big swaths of solid color.

I have also done this style by tying on three longer, thinner accent scarves and braiding them in pairs. When doing this, I like colors that can’t possibly be the colors of human hair (no black, brown, ‘blonde’, red-orange, grey, or white). My favorite combination are turquoise, dark purple, and a darker turquoise or a lighter purple for the third color.

I tend to fasten the braid with a safety pin to hold it discreetly closed, then cover the safety pin with a colorful or sparkly scrunchy.

Iqra

Assalamualikum, everyone.
This braided hijab I think is straying from the concept of hijab. Hijab is modesty, and braiding your hijab like hair isn’t exactly covering it (metaphorically and literally). I think it’s okay to wear it maybe with only your Muslim women friends, but outside I don’t think its acceptable. You can see the neck, and the way she just tucked in a second hijab into her shirt is uncomfortable and not very nice looking. I think we should just stick to the traditional concepts, but as always, its your choice. Thanks.

Iqra

But I think its okay if you wear proper clothing with it: make sure to cover all your neck (which, in video, she didn’t) and cover your chest. Also, try not to make it too showy. May Allah (swt) help us!

Zari

hey tanx 4 posting!

Salwa

Honestly, I do not like the idea. Hijab is becoming a fashion statement. DOn’t get me wrong hijab and fashion can be done together, but there has to be a line somewhere. Although it is cute, and like as the sister earlier it would be nice for an all-sister event. No one can deny that it is not attention grabbing, and as Muslimas we are not supposed to draw the wrong attention. That is just my opinion.

Aisha

salaam
some1 please help me .I just cannot seee the tutorial and any other videos on this site.Sometymes even in other sites it doesn’t work.I am a 13-yr-old hijabi and am looking for new ways to tie de hijab but whenever i open a tutorial that is abt tieng de hijab it just shows blank insted of de video box.Pls help me.

Aisha

Salam Alaykum,

Sister thanks for showing us that, i like it but i would cover a little more, i love experimenting with my hijab and making new styles, also its good for younger sisters to be modern but modest an this is a good one, but more covering is needed like the back of the neck and not to keen on the scarf tucked down the shirt(shows her shape (bust) off a little to much in that top, ok under a jacket ot similiar olse fitting top…

Aisha

Huda

Salaams,

I think this shows the beauty of Islam and the individuality of people. I agree with the moderator and feel that our religion should be used to support our options, not prohibit. However, it is one’s choice whether or not the feel comfortable or want to wear a brightly coloured scarf, or in a braided scarf.

I would probably not wear this style because I like my shoulders covered by my scarf… and I recognize this is my personal preference. Personally, I would not discourage or turn away from someone who chooses this style. I think it’s great that hijabs are made out of different (and more summer-friendly) materials that can express an origin, tradition or style.

Stephanie

Saalaams sisters,

I appreciate that you are finding more fashionable and different ways to wear hijab, but i feel this look is definetly for a younger crowd. I am in my 20′s and would feel comfortable wearing this maybe on a special occasion or something, but its definetly not soemthing i would suggest to my mother in law or older lady hijaab friend. I love your site, Ma’sha’allah!

tca_alam

Salam

I wish the sister who did this youtube vid doesn’t dress like this in public! Her clothes are skin tight. It just seems very ironic that she would post a youtube clip up wearing something like this. Inshallah no male will see her video.

Umi-2-3

ASalaamuAlaikum Sisiters! The hijab is pretty and creative, however aren’t we to cover our necks and bosoms as well? This style doesn’t cover the sister’s chest very well. I probably would wear it at an in house sisters’ gathering or something. Can you even pray in that hijab? Or would I even recognize a sisiter as Muslim if she was covered in that way? She looks like some stylish fashionista. I know we get bored with the “traditional” hijab styles, so it is great to play around with the fabrics and find what works for us stylishly and Islamically.

Renee

love these videos. I am getting creative with even my old scarves. Thank you. Jazak Allah Khair.

Safaa

Assalmo3alykom:

Jazaki Allah khair sister for the tutorial, I pray to Allah that this is something that will at least attract a sister that is struggling to wear hijab to finally warm up to it and give it a try. Like a sister previously mentioned I don’t feel like that this appropriate for someone in their late 20′s, but definitely someone younger.
As for the other opinions on this thread, the sister didn’t obviously realize her back wasn’t covered, and she explicitly stated that you will have to watch what you wear with it. I hope that we don’t judge her because of the fact that she took the courage to actually post of video on here, and be exposed to our judgements, while we are sitting comfortably behind a screen and giving our critics.
May Allah show us the right path, and keep us steadfast in obeying him.

Safaa.

mahani

thanks for the video its usefull …

Nurul Huda

Assalamualaikum sisters!

I agree with the moderator. I believe that it all boils down to our niyyah. If our niyyah is to wear the hijab as directed by Islamic rules as stated in the Quran i.e. about modesty, it is all-right to wear whatever style; but if our niyyah is to attract other’s attention, it is wrong and shouldn’t be done.

I personally believe that if I go out and there are more men than women looking at me even as I am modestly dressed in my Hijab and the suitable and appropriate attire, then what I wear is wrong. So, when I return home, I would self-reflect and not repeat the same outfit for fear of the same thing happening. I guess this would be a good guide on whether what we wear is right or not. The purpose of hijab is as mentioned earlier by our sisters is to ensure modesty. If we are unable to guarantee a modest appearance despite covering ourselves from head to toe, then there is something wrong with our outfit.

It is sad to say that in Singapore, I’ve seen other sisters wear very tight sweaters and pants that are very tight like that of a ballerina and then wear hijab. She sadly believes that wearing hijab is about covering oneself but forgot about the point of wearing hijab is to cover oneself MODESTLY.

Wasalam.

yasmin kariem

Salaam i think if we want two wear hijab we must do it the right way.No short or tight clothing it wil look so nice@no one wil have anything two say.I four one wear hijab but people have more respect four me then the time i did not even worried with a scarve.So i am very proud two wear my hijab algamdulallah.Your sister in islam

Lydia

Salaam sisters,

I wanted to say that in my opinion, the sister in the video deserves a little more mercy, and less judgement than she has received from some commenting here. I feel we should resist dressing up our own opinions about what we personally would feel uncomfortable in as fiq, to be applied universally.

Look at the diversity of ways that hijab is worn around the world – hijab unites muslimahs everywhere, but not by making us all look exactly the same! The sister in the video makes it very clear that this style needs extra care if it is to be modest. I would also suggest that she presumes, probably correctly, that her audience is almost certainly female. After all, with the whole internet to peruse, how many men are going to be looking for kicks by googling ‘ways to wear hijab’?!

I’d like to add my voice to those who have appreciated the contribution this sister has made to exhibiting the spiritually and physically beautiful diversity that is living, breathing Islam.

Wasalaams from London

Sara H.

I agree with the moderator. Wearing the hijab in different ways doesnt deviate from the concept of Hijab. Besides, i live in a non muslim society, I feel a hijabi should be more encouraged to wear nice hijabs that even a showy non muslim lady would be like..” oh i wish i had a hijab like that. (lol)” much love to those sisters who doesnt make the religion hard, instead tries to be within the shariah. Salaam wa alaikum to you all.

Tina

First off, I want to clarify something. I hope no one thinks I am judging anyone because I am not in the position to judge anyone. I just started wearing hijab this Ramadan and I have found out it takes a serious effort to find clothing that is both fashionable and modest. Who goes to the store and hasn’t been tempted to buy a pretty dress that looks oh so beautiful on us but is either a bit form fitting or has straps or is a bit short? And we try to convince ourselves that we can do this or that to the dress to make it more modest (wear it with pants or an underneath shirt or use a shawl that will cover the form fitting bossom).

Having said that, we should be honest to ourselves. Being a muhajeba is not just about covering the required bodyparts….it is ultimately about being modest. I see muhajebas that wear skin tight jeans with shirts that just cover the butt. Am I judging them? No. As I said, a lot of us are struggling and inshallah we’re trying our best. Am I qualified to give a fatwa on this? No, but common sense tells me it is NOT right. It does not look right and defeats the purpose of hijab.

As for the sported hijab, I can say it is not for me. Her ears and neck are partly showing and the shirt in the chest area is way too tight. I don’t know how you’d be able to work the yellow scarf with a loose shirt?

p.s. sister, I love your website. Do you have a link where we can post outfits? I like the way my neighbor dresses and I’d post some of her outfits…

Anonymous

I watched the video and awww, she seems sincere enough, and she did say that you’d have to be careful on how you are going to wear it, being that it’s not going to cover like full hijab does. Do I think it’s nice…definitely…is it hijab?…not in my opinion. I think it’s good enough that we can rock different color scarves and there are alot of nice styles that I have seen in full hijab…without having to go this far. It’s dangerous how hijab is becoming this big “fashion statement”. I see the younger girls with the head scarf and then they have tight jeans…heels…no sleeves…etc. I don’t know…call me old fashion, but at 16 or 20…or 30 or 40…hijab should still be hijab. I think the meaning of the word “modest” escapes some people. They think as long as the skin is covered…they are being modest…but modesty is so much more than that…not only does it refer to the physical…it’s also a mindset. Proper hijab does not show a woman’s figure, curves, etc. Just an opinion sans judgement. =0)

X KMP X

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL OF U SISTERS.. MAYBE IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE THIS STYLE AROUND MUSLIMAHS.. GATHERINGS MAYBE! =)
UNFORTUNATELY… THE GIRLS GIVING THIS TUTORIAL LEFT ISLAM =(

Maftuna

To X KMP X, How do you know that this sister is no longer in islam? Her last youtube video was 2 months ago and it’s still about hijab.

Asalaamalaikum Muslimahs

I am a new Muslimah … I believe, it’s always going to be different styles as well as opinions on them styles. As sistahs in Islam (Lihub bullah) we have to be careful how we present ourselves , And most of all remember Allah (SWT) at all times. We have a certain fear of Allah(swt) so we want no resemlance with unholy we bear and teach children so safeguarding our dignity is imperative at all times (especially in the present of others) when in doubt ask will Allah be pleased with me? FiIamaan Allah Radiy Allhau Anha

Asalaamalaikum Muslimahs

Allahu*(correction)

Mery

Salamu alikum my sisters!
please my sisters try to be mooore carful abt that!…we don’t need a modern hijab, who said that we want it?!! who said that their are no restrictions abt the way how we should wear our hijab?! everything is “obvious”…we must wear a simple, modest and “non-transparent” hijab which cover all our (head- neck and “”chest”") the way how my sister’s wearing on the video is extremely wrong…im sorry my sister but this is the truth..i want the good for u that’s why i’m telling that, to u and to all my sisters…we must wear “loose-fitting” and modest clothes this is the order of allah…may ALLAH orient us to the right and the sane way and keep us going on our traditions…we can include some modifications but in colors for extance or sth like that…do not try to change the right plz…we love hijab! that’s way we r here ;) salam.

frances criswell

Hi,
This is very interesting to me. We are taking an Islam class at Church. I am trying to learn everything I can.

X KMP X

assalamu alaykum… she left islam in december.. n she is no longer wearing hijab she even posted it on her facebook.. n not only that , she is friends with kimdonisia(ex muslimah, know athiest), n i saw the stuff she post it on her fb … trying to convince her to become athiest!!.. but yeah !! she did.. she had problems.. i dont want to talk about them.. lets just make duaa for her to come back to islam!

Tonya

ASA sisters, I do agree that her shirt is a bit inappropriate, but as far as the concept of a braid being inappropriate? I honestly almost turned away from Islam as there were women who told me I had to wear Niqab and could no longer polish my nails. It was when I went to a center here in midtown NYC with all walks of Musimahs, that stressed that converting to Islam was the uptmost important thing, and with my submission came Ihsan and Iman. (I decided to wear Hijab and no longer paint my nails two months later, and feel wonderful about MY decision to submit).

As a sister said, do not make things too hard for yourself. Not covering that which is ordered to cover is prohibited. Just because one chooses not to braid her Hijab doesn’t make her a better “muslimah”. We are not here to judge others if they do not practice and appear the same in faith as us.

Allhumdulillah I admire her creativity and courage. I am not crazy about the colors, but I think its a fantastic way to switch up the day to day. This video tutorial allows sisters to see that you can express some individuality when wearing hijab, which can be a fear of converts especially, losing your ability to be expressive. Of course there are variations that offer more coverage of this one that one may make as they become stronger in their faith.

scr

As-Salaam Alaikum everyone,

I know this is off topic about the Hijab but, is this woman Muslim who made the tutorial? because i’ve seen Hijab tutorials of women out there who wear Hijabs but aren’t Muslim. If so, and i don’t mean to sound rude in any way, but she should be wearing a loose and covered up shirt that’s modest if she is. I think it’s very inappropriate for her to be wearing an extremely tight and low cut shirt for everyone to see when making a Hijab tutorial. That’s just my opinion though. And again, I don’t mean to sound rude in any way.

mira

For people like me who havent worn the hijab all our lives, making it more fashionable has made it easier for us to wear it and ease into it. I wear mine in a stylish way, but I dont wear it to make a fashion statement I wear it for Allah swt

sumaya

How to upload the hijab tutorial with the braids in it ?