Barbie’s Hijab Styles

Post image for Barbie’s Hijab Styles

In this series of videos, a Muslimah called TheAmericanTurk uses a Barbie doll to demonstrate different ways to wear hijab. As someone who doesn’t like to be on camera, I can appreciate using a doll to show how to wear hijab. But at the same time, I used to find it annoying to do hairstyles on a doll, so trying to do a hijab style on a Barbie doll would probably be even worse! Nevertheless, I think that this is a cute series of videos and the demonstrations are really useful.

The descriptions for each video start the same way…:

For this Hijab style we will use a triangular Hijab. Make sure you have an underscarf before you start and place the triangular hijab in the middle of your head make sure each side of the scarf is even!

…And end the same way.:

To dress up and cover your neck you can:

1- Use this style on top of a basic hijab
2- Use a turtle neck
3- Use another scarf and cover around your neck.

Check out the videos below and let me know what you think. (Additional steps from the video descriptions are included below each one.)

Video 1 – Hijab Style: African Turban Rosette

Steps:
1-Now tuck the hijab behind your neck and pin in place.
2-We will now take the side tips & the middle tip and make a braid on the back.
3-Now we will take the braid and twist it over one side of the head to the other and pin.

Video 2 – Hijab Style: Rapunzel Rapunzel let down your Hijab!

Steps:
1-Now tuck the hijab behind your neck and pin in place.
2-We will now take the side tips & the middle tip and make a braid on the back.
3-After you are done use a scrunchy to finish the look off!

Video 3 – Hijab Style: Crowning of the Queen

Steps:
1- Place a triangular hijab almost about half way in your head leaving one side longer than the other.
2- Now tuck the hijab behind your neck and pin in place.
3-Now take the shorter side of the scarf and make a roll with it.
4-Place the roll across the top of your head.
5-Then place the longer side around your neck and by the head meeting the tip of the roll across and pin.

The “Crowning of the Queen” is my favorite video although sometimes I wear the braided style around the house. Which one is your favorite? Which one would could you see yourself wearing?

Queentruth85

Salaam
I love your site! May Allah continue to bless you and your family. I wear the turban style, however, I do not use hijab pins. I use color hair pins and or clips. I am going to try the Queen style.(Inshalla) The Rapunzal is too young for me. Thanks for the info

Epona'Bri

I actually love these… I buy old dolls at second hand stores and wanted to make Hijabi dolls and these videos help tremendously.

Epona'Bri

Thank you for sharing these videos… I buy old dolls at second hand stores and have wanted to make Hijabi dolls.

lauren

salaam i like the queen one two but i am confusied im a convert to islam but have always been told that the hijab must cover your( hair, ears including ear rings,all of your neck and chest) this has been taught to me by many scholars sheiks and imans,but when i look up hijab styles i find lots showing necks not covering there chest or adorning ear jewellery of course the saitaaniness in me would love to copy but i dont in fear and doubt that i would be held accountable for flaunting or sending out the wrong dawah.please please clarify if it is halal to expose my ears or ear rings, neck or to wear the scarf like many shortly at the neck line so that its not covering my chest like alot of the models i see here,
i love these styles but right now i wear a pashmina wrapped around my head that hangs over my chest not a very funky style.

Alina

Salaam aleikum!
Mashallah, all the videos on this site are very helpfull and the hijab styles are all very pretty but as a reminder to us all sisters is that we must not lose the true meaning/purpose of hijab which is modesty. As to Lauren’s concern, you can wear hijab, be pretty, and still be modest at the same time. If you wish to wear hijab properly, just make sure that your neck, ears, and chest don’t show. Like you, I am a convert and Allah the most merciful has shown me the way to live a proper life. Before you are concerned about your appearance, work on strengthening your iman and the rest will follow, ishallah.
PS a helpful hint on wearing earrings without your ears showing is to stick the earrings through the hijab fabric and then your ears. It keeps the hijab in place and looks good too!

muslima

Thank you for the lovely hijab styles jazakumullaah khair

Amatullah

Salamu aliekum My Sister! Mashal’ah the demonstrations are so helpful…and I’m so glad you showed them because I was wondering. Please add more. I love your khimah skills!!!! May Allah swa reward you for passing on the information! Ameen.

ilham

Salaamu alaikum ! i am very pleased with the styles and that Allah swt grants you more knowledge to be able to create more styles for us especially the youth.sallam!

Abscedere

These how-to videos are nicely done. I favor the “Crowning of the Queen style”, too. Not that I’d ever feel confident enough to wear it, but it’s very pretty.

Ayesha

I just found your website and cant watch the videos. I would love to see them I have two 5 year old girls

abeer

But this way the jaw line is not covered. and I am not sure if that is allowed.

anonymous

the jaw line is not covered??!!!???!!!!!?????! omg how very SCANDALOUS.
lmao thanks abeer, i wasn’t expecting to laugh this morning:):):):):)

Ms. Happyness

What happen with the videooo??

Zahra

I had put a hijab on my barbie birthday cake when i was nine the cake was awesome…awkward silence?…:p
-zahra

Huda

Awesome idea!

I use a style similar to the first video occasionally. It’s great for around the house or when doing physical work.

Razan

Abeer,
If by ‘jaw line’ you mean her neck, a lot of Muslimas do these styles and put on an ‘underscarf’ to cover the neck.

Anonymous Hijabi

Assalam, to those sisters of this site, I really appreciate what you are trying to do for everyone, but i must say that i’m afraid a lot of the ‘styles’ you have been advertising are not in fact, islamic… i don’t want to start a lecture, but may i list a few of the things i have seen?
Okay first of all, there are 4 types of veiled options. the First is the least amount of hijab… It is when the hijab covers the “head, hair, neck and chest”. This is extremely important… because as you can see the turban hijab did not satisfy the last 2 points. Also your sleeves should cover until your wrists (3 inches longer than the elbow at least) and skirt/pants should cover until ankles (and if you are wearing a shirt then it should be longer than the ‘bottom’). All the clothes should be loose and not show your body shape…
Okay so i’m sure you sisters know about Hijab, Chador, Niqab, and Burqa… so i’m not going into the others. I can see you know your fashion, but please try making sure all your clothing match the Islamic perspective as well. Sorry but i just wanted to clear things up, but some other sisters still don’t know how to cover properly.
Thank you for your time, and I’m still thrilled about what you gals are trying to accomplish… I know things can get carried away to please the public, but please do what you can. Salam!

Anonymous Hijabi

Oh, and 2 other things…
The prophet Muhammad (saw) said (sorry but this is a para phrase forgot what the full thing was but…) the women who wear the hijab in the shape of a camel do not wear true hijab at all (forgot if their was a punishment with it….)
So basically means that the top of the hijab shouldn’t be “humped”
Also under hijabs do not satisfy covering, for they are tight, and small… its like underwear, you wear something over it!
Oh and final thing! Many people are confused what “loose” means. So they are wearing a shirt that shows the body shape and i politely say “sister, i advise you not to wear such tight clothing next time” and they reply “oh, but, this isn’t tight at all!” and lightly tug the stomach of the shirt to prove it. You shouldn’t have to pull the clothing to show it’s not tight! If that is the case, wear looser… as long as it isn’t displaying the body shape and the sizes are long enough, you’re good to go!

Sarah

THE FIRST 2 ARE NOT HIJAB. THE NECK IS SHOWING.

Sana

@Sarah, you are right. the firs two aren’t hijab. IM sad to say that some people think wearing long dresses and waripping something around your hair is hijab. it isnt. that isnt modesty. every part of your body should be covered expect the hands upto the wrist and the face. You should wear loose clothes. and wearing clothes that cover the chest arent enough,. the burqa or scarf should cover the chest, neck ears hair as well. may allah guide you all.

@Queentruth85 TURBAN STYLE OR RAPUNZEL STYLE ISNT HIJAB.

Muslima

Sisters, please, less capital letters! Yes, we know and it has been pointed out that the hijab should cover the neck, and in many opinions the chest. Thanks you for pointing out that loose clothes are part of hijab.

Essie

Hello, I’m not Muslim, but I live in the Pacific Northwest, and I see a lot of my Muslim sisters looking freeeezing! I feel so sorry for them for not being able to wear heavy knit hats or fleece. I was thinking that someone should design some winter weather fleece hijabs to go over their pretty scarves for Northern living Muslim women–just a thought. I don’t know if it would conflict with your religious views, but I see so many women shivering and getting wet and cold.

pearl perkins

SALAM,
I think its a best way to aware muslim women to wear hijabs:) u r doin a wnderful job…keep it up.

pearl perkins

I hv not seen the videos yet but i wd lov to watch dem up coz I ve read all the cments & i wanna see wat ix really like inside….:)

chiya

this reminds me of how i would make hijabs for my barbies when i was a young girl
( girls today are lucky to have fulla dolls :)

safhizahiya