Hijab Fashion Videos

The Rules & Regulations of Muslim Fashion

The Washington Post did a really nice 3-part video series on hijab and Muslim fashion. The sister in the first two videos gave a really balanced and accurate description of what hijab is (alhamdulillah!). But my favorite video is the third one which actually features some style options. Watch the videos and let me know what you think.

Video #1: What is Hijab?

Video #2: The Rules & Regulations of Muslim Fashion

Video #3: A Muslim Woman’s Closet: Style Solutions

srtuba

Salam,I’ve been following this blog for quite a while now, and finally decided to comment. The woman explaining hijab in the first two videos knew what she was talking about, and she explained it quite well, masha’Allah. The third video was brilliant, loved the shoes on the daytime look. :)

Natalia

salaam. the videos are very interesting, especially the first one that actually reminded me why exactly we wear hijab. LOL. but the third one… well. I should admit that those earrings looks bizarre. Or am I too conservative???

ms nisa

this was wonderful!!! I just got married last friday. Though I’m sure my outfit was nice I wish I had saw this video before I put it together.I love the ideal of a long dress with a shirt.

Queen Sheba D.Cisse

I really appreciated all three interviews. They were done in great
taste and was knowledgeable as well as educational especially to an individual learning about our Islamic culture and religion. I am pleased, job well done!

Sister Queen Sheba

Shema

Well it’s pbvious that the first 2 videos presented the hijab in an amazing light to American viewers, but I am still shocked at the last video’s closet. I’m speechless:)It was so neat and I could never get my closet that gorgeous.

Thats’s it I’m going to order some new clothes hanger and buy some portable bins to make my closet look like this one.

P.S.
I’m still shocked about the closet… I want one!

Elizabeth

loved all the videos. really good explanation about hijab

Inesa

I love Hadia Mubarak. Masha Allah she is a great public speaker. I once saw her at an Isna convention in dallas and she inspired me to be (more or less) a public speaker.

P.S. Natalia- I also thought the earrings were bizarre, but whatever floats your boat i guess.

Danielle

Assalamu alaikum, great capturing of the modern muslim woman. Glad to know that the Washington Post is highlighting our modesty and fashion. The videos were amazing and I learned a thing or two. InshaAllah, we can all feel beautiful in our clothes and inspire non-muslim woman to become modest. We can truly show everyone that we are fashion forward, with personality all while obeying the command of Allah t’ala.

Umm Hazim

I enjoyed all the vids, masha’Allah, alhumdullilah. The sister in the first two vids gave a very accurate definition of ‘hijab’, masha’Allah, in that it didn’t just mean ‘a scarf’. LOL I also enjoyed the style options in the last vid. I personally would never have considered a dress/gown like this due to the neckline and spaghetti straps, but now that I know how to make it work, time to go shopping, insha’Allah! LOL I admit I didn’t care for the cotton shirt in the ‘daytime’ look. The stretchy shirt in the ‘evening’ look is more to my liking, so much so that I’d rock that in the day! LOL On another note, if I’m not mistaken, Muslim women are meant to cover their feet, so I’d have opted for a nice closed-toe shoe as opposed to the open-toe look.

Awesome vids, masha’Allah, please keep ‘em coming, insha’Allah!

~Ma salaam

farida

i love this video..it explain very well about hijab..and about fashion too..

mona

Salaam I really like the idea of the shirt with the dress I would have not ever thought of wearing clothes like this, of course in a less pattern for me.

Lisa

Why do we have to cover our feet? Are they another sexual object that men can’t help but want to look at so we have to cover up?

Jannah

Salaam~

Congratulations on getting a lovely site for muslimahs to be up-to-date with the world of fashion ;) I’d love to get information on how and where we can purchase modest clothings online, as it is difficult to get modern Islamic clothings in my country.

Aisha

Salam

The videos are really good. Sister Kima, where do you find all these videsos?:)

I loved the first 2 videos, and the sister was giving really good answers Masha Allah.

Wa alaykum salam

Huda Mastura

i wanted to see this videos soooo much but it didnt work well..is there anywhere else i can look for this vids? tq..

yacine

So sad when we have imitate the look of the unbelievers to match ours. Why embrace our own modest style we already have and make them the world in love with it. We don’t have to look like any celebrities let’s just look like ourselves. On the first video the women said we are not suppose to wear tight clothes yet the 3rd video contradicted it because that dress no matter what you put inside it’s still look tight on you. SoubhanAllah this is very said that we want to look like people whom Allah detest.

Maria

i so much miss the stuff you used to post earlier (now preciuos modesty stuff) please please start posting those things.

Maftuna

Salaam,
Thanks for the video. I loved the third one with fashion tips.
Regarding covering the feet as Umm Hazim & Lisa mentioned, I have heard that some scholars differ in opinion on that. But what I do pay attention to is to make sure that the heel is soft (rubber-like and/or wedge) so that it does not make a sound when I walk. So the green high heel in the “evening look” would not pass my test for modesty.
By the way, I love the host’s way of wearing the hijab. How do you put it on like that???
Salaam.

Tanika

Salaam
The videos were very informative and gave me a new insight on modern muslimah fashion. Although I am curious about the earrings. I’ve only been Muslim for 2 months and I have so many earrings that I had before I became Muslim that I would love to wear out. Is it okay to have your earring out like the hostess in the video as long as your ears are covered?

Na'im's Umi

Salaam and Ramadan Kareem,

I also loved that way the host was wearing her hijab. Does any know how she did it? If so, please advise.
Tanika, I still wear my earrings too, and my ears are covered? It brings flavor to your outfit.

Atiqah

Hey there i’ve been trying how to do the hijab with earrings and think i have it all figured out.

The host is smart as in using the earrings as accessories instead o a pin or brooch.

farida

assalamualykum. unfortunatly i was unable to view the vids, i think its because my connection is slow. i am hoever looking forward to being a regular on this wedsite.

Uzma

Salaam everyone, Subhanallah I am very proud and blessed to say that this video documentary was created and executed by my little sister Sabrina! She is truly an inspiration to the Muslim youth all over the world! Jazakallahu khairun to everyone for their support, please leave your comments on washingtonpost.com so that they may allow Sabrina to continue such future endeavors!

Uzma

Oh! and for all the sisters who were asking about how Sabrina and I tie our hijabs (with earrings) listen up…

1) choose your earrings (the longer/bigger they are, the better cuz they won’t be “lost in the cloth”

2) secure your hair in a mid to high bun and put on your underscarf or do-rag

3)choose your scarf. it should be a long and wide rectangular shaped scarf since these work the best.

4)adjust the scarf over your head, leaving one side really long, the other side short, but still enough to wrap around your bun. but don’t wrap anything yet.

5) fold about a 2-3 inch section of the scarf under, lengthwise, and adjust the material on your forehead. bring it as low as you like
and roll the extra material behind your neck under in a lengthwise fashion.

6)hold the two sides in opposite hands and cross them under your bun. adjust the tightness and bring both sides to the top of your head and tie a loose, yet secure knot. the really long side should still be hanging over one shoulder. while the short end should be tucked away.

7) using a straight pin (hat pins from Michael’s work really well) secure part of the super long section on the side of your head, weaving the hat pin in and out of your underscarf or do-rag. bring the scarf under your chin (make sure the earrings are on top of the material) and over your head. secure the hijab with as many pins as you’d like. you can even use a brooch or fashion pin to decorate the hijab that is draped over your shoulder.
it takes a few tries before you feel totally comfortable with the style, but iA before you know it, you’ll be wrapping your hijab in your sleep!
Hope this helps! =) good luck

Habbira

Assalamoalikum,
May Allah Bless U.. U have given the best direction for my sisters who hate hijab by showing us its different kinds, fashions, custums & traditions, teritoriial ways & styles.
May Allah give U Ajr for Ur affections & intentions & May the whole world’s womens commence to do hijab to execute the order& for assent & pleasure of beloved Nabi Mohammad salal la ho alihe wassalm & Allah subhan wo tallah.

Nadia

Liked the way the video was done. But those earrings gotta go girl. It looked terrible. The hijab was done in a very neat fashion. Simple and neat.

Maria

i wish there were updates for eid

Josie

Thank you! I am looking for more tips like this.

I am a new Muslima and my new learning has really opened my eyes on how much I’ve been sucked into the body image thing by the some of the more revealing styles.

I thought I was a confident individual leader, and I’m seeing how I’ve been showing more skin than personality due to the pressures of fashion and the mentality of ‘show while you got it’. (Not blaming anyone buy myself, by the way)

I am very excited to dress modestly and show people around me that it can be fashionable and fun! But its been difficult to change over a whole wardrobe on a very tight budget.

If anyone has more tips or places to go for bargains, help a sister out!

Khalisa

Mashallah great post! I have been wondering for a long time how to dress up for a formal occassion and still observe hijab. I have never much liked abayas or other ‘ethnic’ attire, so now I have so many ideas with Western style clothing. Jazakallah khair for this one!

Sanaa

Hi, I like the video. I live in Malaysia and in my country, we usually pair up tank top/spaghetti straps with long sleeve shirt since it is quite hard to find modest outfit here.I am more interest to know how to wear hijab in several different ways. I only know one way :P Wish to learn more..hihi

janan

I really like this..i’ve added it to my blog roll..good job..great design!!! Are you going to sell ur own products in the boutique? are you willing to sell another line?

Kudos smallah
janan

ar

Nice article. Have a look at http://www.-.com for some elegant jilbabs suitable for occasions.

Samia

Salam, I loved the first two videos. It does explain in details the meaning of the hijab and how to wear it. However on the third video, I think she should have worn a jacket on top of the dress, that the breast line and waist wouldn’t be obvious.

Nadine

I enyojed the videos…
know I understand a lot of things

thanxx

Issra

THE VIDEOS ARE NOT WORKING! I really want to watch them!

Tierra Ziyad

MashAllah these are wonderful, I mean, seriously very helpful and still presents the islamic message in such a way where its not covered up nor a way which runs you away (if you guys know what I mean). They made me a little teary eyed watching them. Just mashAllah, keep up the good work. I love it!

Julia

Hi, I’ve chosen recently to change my life path from being a christian to being a muslim, after i started to study Arabic at university and with it Islaam. It’s very difficult however to find islamic clothes in my country, not to mention how people look on you, but that i really don’t care. Could I have some tips from where i can buy some modest islamic clothes online?I only found higiabs. Shukran giaziylan!:)

ahsya

oh wow, i loved these videos!! and yeah, my fave was the third. three guesses why ;] oh and those earrings were rather annoying. lol

Mandy

Assalamu aleikum

Pretty cool styles… although I personally would have to wear a jacket or blazer type thing with the dress in the third video because I wouldn’t be comfortable with the accentuating of the boobs and waist line there. But it is a very beautiful dress. =)

chocolate

Mashallah these are great videos.:)

khadidja

salam
I like the style ,but not with the earrings …also I like the video it is very nice :)

Nadira

that was amazing. the look actually came out pretty well. i’m 15 and i’m always trying to find a look that looks good but islamic at the same time, without becoming frumpy. are there more vids on this site or are those the only three?

hanan

Im happy to see modesty is becoming a forum talked about. Also this site is good for girls who are still having trouble following islam and living in the west. Ultimatly, those who embrace islam, and choose to take follow it “correctly”, will agree with me when i say this is not the definition of modesty. Modesty for a women is when she walks amoung people unnoticed. If the girl in the third video is dressing up like that for women only, then its okay. But if shes planning on walking in front of men like that, then its haram. Tabarrug is haram. Read surat noor and translations for what a women should dress like. salam.

anythingbutordinary

Salam Hanan,
Modestly does not mean walking among people unnoticed. It means not showing off any part of your body that is not necessary to show. What happened to “Allah is beautiful and loves beauty” and “Wear your beautiful garments…The best garment is that of righteousness.” Seriously now. Extreme much!!

Celandine

Assalamalekkum Hanan,

in all honesty, I agree with anythingbutordinary. Plus, I’m a recent revert and started wearing hijab practically straight after my embracing of Islam alhamdullilah! But trust me, ever since I have started to wear hijab, I stand out, not because I wear flashy things, but because I am a student and there are no muslims on my course whatsoever so my conversion did not go unnticed and trust me, it has been hard at times. Not because I don’t know I’m doing the right thing by Allah but rather because I feel a bit like the odd one out. So why not stand out and be the odd one out in style! Inshallah, maybe people will turn around and think “oh, Islam isn’t always about women wearin dark colours and “tents” like i’ve often heard ppl call abayas wrongly.
PS: the reference to tents is not what i believe, far from, i have great respect for any sister who wears abayas.

Isha

As Salaamu Alaikum, I love this site. I frequent often to pick up new styles, and I love them all. I agree with anythingbutordinary and Celandine. Being a new muslimah, I try to practice modesty with all of my outfits. At times it is difficult when you run out of fresh ideas. It is even more difficult when other sisters try to put you down for your choices in clothes. I think one thing we have to remember is that clothes back then and clothes now are totally different. I am a woman who used to wear the revealing clothes, but after becoming married to my husband and taking my shahadah, I have more respect for myself. I love the clothes here. We should give more positive than negative. Shukran for this site sister. Insh’Allah it will continue to be a source for sisters who love Allah and like fashion.

Alliyah Brown

Salams,
Is the third video really appropriate? Should us as Muslims put so much effort into fashion? Wear something only once if it goes out of fashion? Who’s sunna is this? To say Angelina Jolies dress is great for the event? I appreciate your effort, but be careful how far you sway to the grey areas. We don’t need to be the same as the non Muslims. We should be showing them that love of materialistic things in excess like fashion is not what Islam teaches.

aagi

I could agree with the comment about the Angelina’s dress but where did she say to throw away things after wearing it once??? She said something completely different! She said “you don’t want to end up with something you gonna wear only once”. That’s the quote. So she meant the opposite of what you’re saying. It means we ought to buy something classic so it wouldn’t go out of fashion fast.

fatima

where to find those under tees in which the girl wore under the gown. pls let me know

Morufat

Salam alaikum,
According to the Quran and sunnah believing women should lower their gaze, draw their hijabs over their bosoms, cover their adornments and not imitate the unbelievers. In light of this, d third vid is not appropriate if u r wearing in front of ur non-mahrams. Enter into islam wholeheartedly, not one foot in and another out. The first 2 vids explained this. May Allah make us accept and embrace the truth and also recognise falsehood and keep away frm it.

Bahijah

Salam alaikum,
I too have to agree that the 3rd outfit was not my personal definition of modesty but it was good that they were trying. I hadn’t thought about the clicking (loud) heels, but I have noticed that as the school where I teach has loud concrete floors! Shukrahn for your blog sister. Julia, there are many online sites to shop from, google for a list of Islamic clothing online stores your will find many, many!!!

Damali

after reading all the comments I just wanted to watch the videos so much…..but they arent working :(

mariama

why don’t you post any muslimah2muslimah videos?